Thursday, September 28, 2006

Schiacciata con l'uva

Before trying this schiacciata, I honestly didn't think I was going to like it so much.
This is just my kind of dessert, a nice crunchy border with a good olive oil taste and the soft and juicy grape...I really don't like complicated dessert, with creams and mousses, I get bored after 2 bites.
Schiacciata con l'uva is a traditional sweet bread from Toscana, doesn't require more than a good bread dough, good extra virgin, grape and sugar. It's typical of haverst season because it must be made with black wine grape.

The recipe is not really necessary but more or less I did this way:

200 g of bread flour
salt 2% of the weight of the flour (a scarce teaspoon)
8 g of fresh yeast cake
a dizzle of evo
and enough water for a soft but not sticky dough

I did let it proof twice. I cleaned and washed the grape (about double weight than the amount of flour). Divided the dough in half, spread the first half in a small oiled baking pan. Let rest a little if the dough resist and wet your hands with oil. It should be rolled out very thin, spread half of the grape, gently press down on the dough, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sugar. Repeat with the remaing half of dough and grape. Pinch the hedges and bake in a preheated oven at about 180 celsius for about 50 minutes. I let it slide on a grate because I didn't want it to get to soft, the filling keeps it very juicy anyway.


  Posted by Picasa

No comments: